Who can believe it's October already!? I for one LOVE autumn; the changing leaves, log burners, woolly jumpers and flickering candles are some of my favourite things.
The sun loungers and bbq have been packed away for the winter and it’s time to get our homes ready for the cooler seasons ahead.
Here are our top 10 ways to turn your home into a cosy sanctuary!
1. Get the right lighting. Now that darker nights are upon us, your choice of lighting is more important than ever. Layer combinations of different lighting using floor and table lamps to add depth to your room and create a cosy ambience.
2. Clear out your clutter. This is an ideal time to give our homes a good clean and refresh. During the colder months, the lack of ventilation and warm moist air – due to drying clothes indoors, provides an ideal environment for bugs and germs to flourish. Fling your windows open whenever possible, clear out any cupboards and have a good old sort out and tidy up.
3. Autumn smells. Swop your summer floral scents for something warmer. Scented candles or reed diffusers are the perfect way to fragrance a room. Choose Cinnamon, Vanilla or Pine for the ultimate autumn aroma.
4. Increase the texture. A great way to signal the transition from summer to autumn is to introduce heavier soft furnishings. Out with the linens and in with the faux fur and chunky knits.
5. Get your garden in shape. Give your lawn one good final cut, rake up leaves and put your BBQ & garden furniture away. Now is also the time to plant any bulbs ready to flower in spring.
6. Plants & flowers. Interior plants and flower arrangements should reflect what is naturally in season. Stylish & elegant branches, twigs, leaves & berries look great in the autumn.
7. Marvellous metallics. Introduce some fabulous metallic accessories in materials such as gold, copper and brass. These hues really add warmth and depth to a space, and are the perfect accessory as we head towards the festive season!
8. Practical jobs. Now is the time to get your fireplaces in order; have gas fires checked, chimneys swept and log stores stocked up. Block any draughts and sort out any DIY jobs you’ve been putting off. Make sure that your home is dry and properly insulated before the weather really turns.
8. Candles, candles & more candles. Candles are the ultimate way to create a cosy autumnal space and create a mellow and inviting atmosphere. If you’re not quite ready to light the fire, place candles in the hearth to establish a stylish focal point. Be careful not to overdo it with scented candles… just one scented candle should be enough so make sure the others are unscented. If you do decide to use more than one perfumed candle just make sure that the fragrances don’t clash!
10. Box set bingeing! Finally, the best way to spend an autumn evening is snuggled up on your sofa in your PJ’s and nothing beats a good series binge. With the fire blazing, candles flickering and a fully loaded hot chocolate you’ll create the perfect cosy space!